Jack only had minutes to save his nan's life...but he knew just what to do. Here his mum, Dawn Fradley, 35, from Stoke-on-Trent explains...
Thank God for my mum, Maggie, 61. She lives about ten minutes from us and has been such a help with our kids, Jack, 6, and Lexie, 4.
Me and my husband, Wayne, 35, both work full time. It’d be tricky if not for Mum, especially in the school holidays. But she says she loves having them.
So, on the first Thursday of the summer holidays this year, I dropped the kids off at Mum’s for an overnight stay, as I was working on the Friday morning. But Mum didn’t seem herself.
‘It’s nothing, love,’ she said. ‘I’m just a bit run down. It’ll pass.’ So I told the kids to be good. ‘See you tomorrow,’ I smiled.
The next morning, I was at work for 8.30am. An hour later, my mobile buzzed.
It was a Facebook message from my cousin, Nicola… I’ve lost your number. The police I trying to get in touch. And, when I rang…
‘It’s your mum,’ Nicola said. ‘She collapsed. An ambulance is already on its way.’ I raced off. But, before I could get there, my phone rang again. The police.
‘Your mum is going to be okay,’ the officer reassured me. ‘ And she has Jack to thank for that.’
‘Jack?’ I asked, shocked.
‘When your mum collapsed, she appeared to be unconscious,’ the officer explained. ‘So Jack called 999. He pretty much saved the day.’ But how?
My mind was racing when suddenly, I remembered. A couple of weeks before, Lexie had been having her breakfast when Jack had come downstairs.
‘Have you seen this?’ Wayne had asked, pointing at the telly.
It was a news report on Good Morning Britain. A woman had suffered some sort of seizure, but her 9-year-old daughter had saved her life by calling 999.
‘Wow,’ I’d said. ‘Clever little girl!’
‘Do you two know what to do in an emergency?’ Wayne had asked the kids.
They both shook their heads. ‘You must stay calm and call 999,’ Wayne explained. I hadn’t thought twice about it…
Until now, when we’d had a family emergency of our own. And Jack had known what to do!
Minutes later, I pulled up near mum’s, an ambulance outside. Relief surged when I went in. There were the kids, chatting away with a paramedics.
Mum was there, too, sipping a glass of water, a bit confused but otherwise okay. ‘You gave us such a fright,’ I said, hugging her.
Mum was taken off to the Royal Stoke University Hospital where she was diagnosed with a severe chest infection and suspected pneumonia. But after a few days, she was back to her old self.
‘If the ambulance hadn’t got to you when it did, your infection could’ve really taken hold,’ the doctor said. ‘And it can be a killer!’
Jack was a lifesaver!
‘Jack, you’re a hero,’ I gushed, hugging him. ‘You’re the best!’ Mum agreed, giving him a kiss. ‘I was just doing what Daddy told us,’ he smiled, chuffed.
Later, Mum explained what’d happened. She’d gone to the bathroom to get a glass of water, then collapsed when she’d got back to her bedroom, banging her head.
‘It was so weird,’ she said. ‘I couldn’t move or speak, but I could hear everything that was going on.’
After a few minutes, Jack and Lexie had found Mum. ‘What’s wrong with nana?’ Lexie had asked.
‘I think she’s dead,’ Jack had replied. ‘We need to call the doctor.’
Jack put some cartoons on for Lexie so she wouldn’t be scared.
Then, he’d found mum’s mobile and rang 999. The operator then traced the call to Mum’s address.
Now Jack’s going to make sure all his classmates know what to do in an emergency.
After all, who knows when you may need a little lifesaver of your own?
Well done, Jack!