Leeds, birthplace of the Jelly Tot and home to The Whites, The Rhinos and 65,000 students! Every uni has its traditions and landmarks. See how many of these you recognise if you were lucky enough to be there in the 90s...
1. Drinking Blastaway and trying to stay on your feet on the revolving dance floor at Planet Earth felt a lot like this…
2. Clubbing in a shopping centre was completely normal.
3. Fighting over 7p beans in Netto.
4. Deciding where to live after halls… Rough it in Hyde Park or go posh in Headingley?
5. Getting snowed in at the pub.
6. Tariq’s was the only Indian to eat at.
7. Being robbed in your own home as you watched TV wasn’t as rare as you’d think.
8. A Skyracker or Original Oaker – you can’t be both.
9. Spending time in the Brotherton Library, just to feel like a ‘proper’ academic.
10. A trip to Jimmy’s was inevitable.
11. You just didn’t go to Chapel Town.
12. Saving Co-op stamps for fags.
13. Getting drunk on an old canal boat on a roundabout was completely normal.
14. Buying a can of coke at Morrisons, just to get cashback.
15. Digging out your wigs and flares for a night at the T&C’s Love Train.
16. Braving a pint in Big Lil’s.
17. Realising it was quicker to queue for a beer in The Skyrack than figure out its bottled-beer vending machine.
18. The Music Factory, Back to Basics, Warehouse, Mr Craig’s, Vague – you did them all and loved it!
19. Monday nights in Ricky’s was a ritual.
20. Feeling pretty badass when you found the cinema where you could smoke and lounge on a sofa.
21. Playing it cool when you spotted someone from the Emmerdale cast.
22. Watching the bowling green at The Oak disappear under bodies and pint glasses on a hot summer’s day.
23. Blowing your grant shopping in the Victorian Quarter and The Corn Exchange.
24. Burley Park was always full of cats.
25. Attempting the Otley Run. You still can’t remember if you did it or not.
26. Getting past THAT bouncer at Vague. We salute you Madame JoJo!
27. Getting lost after you left halls because all the roads are called the same ruddy thing!
28. Going to The Faversham was a posh student night out.
29. Listening to the late-night phone-in show on Aire FM.
30. You never made it to The Dales.
31. Having a drunken altercation with an Amber Cars driver.
32. Feeling disappointed when you realised that every student bedroom had a Matisse poster and a multi-coloured woven rug.
33. Graduation was a day of mixed emotions. Real life was just around the corner and three glorious years of fun and friends was coming to an end. Thank you, Leeds!