Ever worked in a pub or bar? If so, some of these might be scarily familiar. Here are 21 things you only know if you've worked in a pub...
1. Drip trays are disgusting and they stink of stale beer and ale. Fact.
2. You avoid the pub or bar you work in when you go out socialising. Yet somehow, you still bump into the regulars wherever you go…
3. Lock-ins are fun – as long as you’re not behind the bar. Your shift may well have finished at midnight, but you’re not going to be getting home until gone 2am…
4. The regular punters think they have a right to ask you personal questions, including quizzing you about your sex life. You’re not our friends – we don’t want to divulge those details!
5. Changing barrels is scary. If not done correctly, you risk wasting a LOT of beer. Eek!
6. Pub grub swiftly becomes part of your staple diet.
7. You don’t appreciate ‘friendly’ nicknames like Foxy, Sweet Cheeks and Dimples.
8. Optic bottles are really heavy. You don’t like holiding them above head height when changing them.
9. You know the pub regulars’ choice of poison – and it will stay with you even after you’ve moved jobs.
10. You know when customers have had enough to drink (even if they’re convinced they’re stone-cold sober)…
11. You become a world-class eavesdropper. You may look like you’re innocently cleaning glasses, but you like to know what your customers are up to as well!
12. Last orders means last orders. You didn’t call it so cheeky punters could sidle up to the bar 20 minutes later and expect to get another drink.
13. You don’t live at your regulars’ beck and call. You don’t expect to be shouted at because you’ve failed to notice a customer only has 1/4 of a pint left and they’re expecting you to have lined up the next one.
14. You don’t give away free drinks. Ever.
15. If a customer wants to buy you a glass of wine however (for when you’ve finished your shift) you’ll happily accept!
16. You know your regulars’ addresses and the local cab company’s number off by heart. You like to make sure they get home safely when they’re a bit sozzled.
17. You know many of the regulars have favourite mugs and glasses but there’s nothing you can do if they’re in the dishwasher…
18. Ordering drinks and crisps from the wholesalers is a pain, and stock take is even worse.
19. It’s good that the shelves where the glasses are kept are cleaned regularly but you hate doing it! The same goes for stock rotation.
20. You like to sneak out the back ‘to check stock’ so you can sit down for 2 minutes.
21. Although you like to grumble, you’ll miss the job when you’re gone!