These are sentences that people (maybe even you!) trot out all the time. No offence but, we're ever so slightly fed up with them!
1. ‘You’d get less for murder!’
Somebody will always tell you this after you reveal how long you’ve been married.
2. ‘What’s the weather like up there?’
Taller than average people are used to hearing this.
3. ‘Nice weather for ducks!’
A cheery passerby quips when it’s pouring with rain.
4. ‘Cheer up, it might never happen…’
An irritating comment you’ll receive if you’re looking a bit down.
5. ‘I’m ready to go home now…’
A fellow holidaymaker moans near the end of their break. Are they crazy? Swap the beach for the tube. No thanks!
6. ‘Christmas is for the kids, really, isn’t it?’
An opinion made during the festive season by a shopper in the supermarket while stocking up with the bubbly!
7. ‘Time flies when you’re having fun!’
You happened to ask: ‘Is that the time already, realising it’s later than you thought and that was the obligatory response you received.
8. ‘Knowing my luck, it’ll be an oncoming train…’
You’d tried to reassure a stressed pal that there would be light at the end of the tunnel and you got that pessimistic remark for your trouble!
9. ‘It’ll all be downhill from now on…’
An expression used to describe something getting worse, but why? Going downhill is actually the easy bit!
10. ‘It’s been an uphill struggle…’
You’ve often said this yourself when a task’s been a lot tougher than you thought it’d be.
11. ‘Are you sisters?’
Normally a comment made by a cheeky chap. It’s supposed to be a compliment given to a mother and daughter. Listen up, men, you’re only flattering Mum here!
12. ‘Is is natural?’
Not an unfamiliar question received by curly haired people, at least you think they meant your locks!
13. ‘Do you come here often?’
No, we’re not going to delve into the murky realms of dodgy chat-up lines, but this well-worn phrase had to be included.