Dick Van Dyke is the stuff of legends. An all-singing, all-dancing actor (literally!) these are the reasons he's cream of the crop, tip of the top!
1. Dick Van Dyke was born in Missouri in December 1925. At age 90, he’s showing no signs of slowing down. We hope we have as much energy as he does when we reach his age!
2. As his mother’s family was religious, Dick Van Dyke briefly toyed with the idea of becoming a minister. But a drama class at school convinced him he should be an entertainer. Phew!
3. Not only has this legend had a lengthy career in radio, theatre and telly, but in film too…
4. While many slated his cockney accent in Mary Poppins, we absolutely loved Van Dyke as chimney sweep Bert! He even received a Grammy Award in 1964 along with Julie Andrews for his performance on the soundtrack of the film.
5. And let’s not forget his iconic performance as Caractacus Potts in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang!
6. In 1998 Dick Van Dyke was recognised as an actual Disney Legend, having made an extraordinary and intergral contribution to The Walt Disney Company.
7. Dick Van Dyke has starred in many TV shows but our absolute favourite is Diagnosis Murder which ran from 1993 to 2002. In it, Van Dyke played Dr Mark Sloan who had an uncanny ability to solve crimes and murders, all whilst being a doctor!
8. He is head of an acting dynasty in the Van Dyke family. His son Barry starred alongside him in Diagnosis Murder, as did his grandson Shane Van Dyke.
9. Dick Van Dyke raps. Enough said.
10. He has mad dance skills and even made a guest appearance at a recent Disney tribute on ABC dancing alongside Derek Hough. Legend!
Are there other reasons why you love Dick Van Dyke? Let us know in the comments section below!