Croydon. Land of Dreams! Much maligned and with a troubled past, it's more famous than you think. Lets be proud of Croydon. It's had some hard press in the past so here's 11 reason to be big up the place!
1. Arthur Conan Doyle lived there
Super- sleuth creator Sir Arthur Conan Doyle lived in Tennison Road, South Norwood. If he painted the front door yellow would he have a lemon entry?
2. Martin Clunes went to the Royal Russell School in Croydon
And in a moment of perfect harmony Clunes played Sir Arthur Conan Doyle in the 2015 TV mini series Arthur & George.
3. Batman: The Dark Knight Rises was filmed there
Christian Bales growling super hero battled the joker using the old BT Offices at Delta Point. Holy municipal building Batman.
4. Great British Bake Off’s Sue Perkins grew up there
Bread in Croydon, and torte at Croham Hurst School, Sue put on her comedy choux’s to become a rising star at the Cambridge Footlights theatrical club.
5. The opening sequence to The Da Vinci Code was filmed there
Fairfield Halls was used in the opening scenes of the Tom Hanks film of the best-selling literary classic… book.
6. Ronnie Corbett lived in Shirley, Croydon
It’s little known that beloved comedian Ronnie lived in Croydon.
7. Pickles the dog found the Jules Rimet world cup trophy there in 1966
Without a lead, the police were barking up the wrong tree trying to find the stolen World Cup. But local dog Pickles sniffed it out on Beulah Hill, Upper Norwood becoming a national hero! The robbers were never collared but Pickle’s owner, David Corbett, got his paws on nearly £5,000 as a reward.
8. Film Director, David Lean was born just off the Purley Way
9. Sitcom Terry and June was set there
Set in Purley, the opening sequence was filmed around East Croydon Station and Croydon town centre.
10. Peep Show was set there
Mark and Jez’s flat was in Zodiac Court, London Road and the title sequence was filmed in Croydon town Centre.
11. Tracey Emin was born there
Confessional modern artist Tracey Emin was born in Croydon before her family moved to Margate.
Do you now of any other famous Croydon people or interesting facts?