Leicester. Officially the 10th largest city in the UK. Home to very important institutions like the Leicester Tigers, Walkers crisps and a tasty orange cheese. But more importantly home to a very famous University. Definitely not to be confused with the 'poly' one! See if you recognise these signs that say you were there in the 90s and you're proud to be one of Leicester Uni's alumni.
1. Your very first email address ever was …@le.ac.uk
2. You discovered you had to share a room in the first year and convinced yourself you’d be stuck with a psycho axe murderer.
3. In your first week you went to at least one poster sale in Queen’s Hall.
4. You went to Palais Tuesday, Reagan’s Wednesday, Mega Friday. Every week. For at least a year.
5. And you spent the majority of the first year either waiting for or travelling on the No.80 green bus. With a paper season ticket that you were constantly looking for.
6. Before uni you’d never set foot in a supermarket the size of the Asda in Oadby.
7. You loved living in halls and got very over excited knowing curly fries were on the menu for brunch every weekend.
8. Flaming Colossus, Mosquito Coast and Zanzibar… you’ve forgotten how much you loved going clubbing!
9. It was slightly disconcerting knowing that the main building used to be a lunatic asylum. But it did at least explain the maze of corridors you had to go through to try and find the loo.
10. The scream painting will always remind you of the Loaded Dog sign.
11. You thought no other student union could possibly have a bar as cool as the Redfearn.
12. You definitely thought the Charles Wilson building resembled a transformer.
13. You wondered why the powers that be couldn’t have come up with a better name for the ‘New Building’.
14. Living in Evington sounded very scary. You were thankful you’d got a nice spot in Clarendon Park.
15. You learnt very quickly never to wear a white top to a curry house on London Road.
16. The girls all arrived at the summer ball in oriental Jeffrey Rogers dresses with very sunburnt shoulders.
17. You loved getting a raffle ticket in Bar Gaudi for your cocktail order. In fact drinking cocktails full stop seemed so very grown up.
18. You had to stifle a laugh whenever a taxi driver referred to Belvoir street as ‘Beaver’ street.
19. Travelling to lectures on a paternoster was totally normal to you.
20. You loved having a nose round Silver Arcade.
21. Every time ‘Return of the Mack’ came on at least two people announced that Mark Morrison came from Leicester.
22. You spent AGES queuing to get on a computer.
23. And you spent a lot of money topping up your photocopier card because all the books you needed were short loan ones that 47 other people were waiting for.
24. You felt a sense of sadness walking across Victoria Park for the final time.
25. When you grew up you thought it would be quite nice to live on Queen’s Road. Or New Walk with all those trees.
26. You only set foot in De Montfort Hall once. On graduation day.
27. And you felt a real sense of pride in 2013 when your uni became headline news because they’d discovered King Richard III in a local car park!
Recognise all of these? Let us know if we’ve missed any!