Here's 11 very useful facts that you need to know about Mexico's national spirit. And to celebrate we've come up with our very own cheat's guide to making the perfect margarita...so have a go, dig out your sombrero and salud! (that's cheers in Spanish)
1. Tequila is made from the blue agave plant
2. But without bats there’d be no tequila. Because the agave plant is pollinated by bats.
3. In 1795 King Carlos IV of Spain granted a permit to the Cuervo family to allow them to produce tequila commercially.
4. And Jose Cuervo is the best-selling tequila in the world.
5. English rock band Terrorvision shot to number 2 in the charts with the catchy Tequila, which quickly became the earworm of 1999…
6. There are over 900 brands currently being made in Mexico.
7. And the most expensive bottle in the world is the Ley .925 which sold for $3.5 million! The platinum bottle was studded with 6,400 diamonds.
8. There are no traditions involving worms. If you see one in a bottle it’s just a marketing gimmick…
9. Tequila can be turned into diamonds. Well, artifical ones anyway. But sadly they’re too small to be used in jewellery.
10. In Mexico it is traditionally drunk neat – no salt, no lemon – and is sipped to really enjoy the flavour.
11. And Mexicans will drink margarita cocktails if they want tequila with any added extras… Check out our cheat’s guide to the perfect margarita in the video below… it’s ingenious!