Crazy names for 11 odd critters...
1. Wunderpus – octopus
Wunderpus photogenicus to give it its Latin monicker, is a rare and colourful species. Possible BFF of the Dumbo octopus Grimpoteuthis?
2. Lumpsucker – aquatic vertebrate
It’s a fish, not an insult.
3. Goblin and tasseled wobbegon – sharks
The goblin is described as pinkish grey to bubblegum pink in colour. And the wobbegon, meaning ‘shaggy beard’ is a carpet shark, so called because it lives on the ocean bed. Not under beds…
4. Strange-tailed tyrant – bird
Just a funny little feathered friend. Not mad, bad or dangerous to know.
5. Pink fairy and its pal the screaming hairy – armadillos
Strange enough creatures, without the name calling. No wonder the poor things curl up into a ball.
6. Raspberry crazy ant – small, social insect
Named for the exterminator Tom Raspberry, who first noticed them in 2002. Not to be confused with the cream crackers bee…
7. Leafy seadragon – cute marine creature
Not big, not scary – and most likely to be found blowing bubbles, not breathing fire.
8. Satanic leaf-tailed gecko – terrestrial lizard
Aka Uroplatus phantasticas, this is a perfectly charming little gecko, who you could take to tea with the vicar any Sunday.
9. Pleasing fungus beetles – winged insects
Oh, they’re just lovely!
10. Hellbender – salamander
A species of aquatic giant salamander known for its solitary ways. Its friends also call it snot otter, devil dog, mud-devil, and mud dog. Can see why it’s solitary.