If you've logged on, looking for love, we guarantee you'll have experienced some of these...
1. You will meet a lot of people you would never normally meet. This is a good thing (sometimes).
2. You panic about how soon is too soon to leave when you go on a date where there’s no chemistry. Is it OK to go after one drink, or is that rude? Or is staying longer than you’d like to be polite, really just leading him on. Argh, why is it so hard?!
3. People lie in their profiles. Warning signs are dark profile pictures full of baseball caps and sunglasses – the internet daters disguise. Just what are they hiding?
4. It’s not just their looks that people fib about. Their profile says they like travel and adventure? Chances are they’re surgically attached to their X Box, and only venture far as the local pub.
5. You will be sent d*ck pics by randoms. Why do men think this is a winner? It’s one of the universe’s unsolved mysteries.
6. You have to choose where you go beforehand. If you meet somewhere like a bus stop or train station, you’ll spend half the date insisting to each other that you don’t mind where you end up while walking the streets. In the rain.
7. Men old enough to be your dad will hit on you.
8. Funny messages are no guarantee that you’ll end up on a date with a funny man. Sometimes the ‘author’ of hilarious texts turns out to be a right dullard in person, and you wonder if they got a mate to write the messages for them.
9. Because of this, you learn to meet up sooner, rather than later. It helps quell the disappointment.
10. You can have a long involved discussion about the merits of Match vs OK Cupid, eHarmony vs Tinder…
11. Sometimes you have a lovely date, think all was looking promising and then you never hear from the bloke again. In these instances, it helps your ego to pretend they were hit by a bus on the way home. Or were abducted by aliens.
12. You become a master of Google stalking, using the scraps of information you know about your potential date to find out as much about him as possible before the big night. Forewarned is forearmed!
13. When you accidentally click on your online crush’s profile and you know that the site will send them a notification telling them so. Nooooooo!
14. Time never goes so slowly as when you compose a brilliant, witty reply to a message, and the site tells you he’s read it, and then you have to wait for a reply.
15. It’s a numbers game. The more people you meet, the more likely it is that you’ll meet one you like. It also means you’ll meet a lot of losers, so brace yourself.
16. No matter how mainstream it gets, your nan will always think all online dating sites are solely populated with pervs and axe murderers.
17. And some mates will tell you internet dating is unromantic. And what, falling into bed with a bloke you met in a club, after too many sambuccas is worthy of Jane Austen, is it?
18. If you choose the same date venues for different blokes, the bartenders look at you funny and you suspect they think you’re a working girl.
19. Some online daters are married, and funnily enough, they’re not keen to tell you right away…
20. Online dating can get you down. You wonder if, instead of getting dolled up on a Saturday night having awkward conversations with a stranger in a pub, you’ll ever get to stay in and order pizza with someone you like, who likes you too. You’ve just got to meet them first.
21. And then you do, and it’s all worth it. Ahhhh!