So tonight, the carnival begins as the Olympic Games of 2016 kick off in the opening ceremony at the Maracana Stadium in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Here's some facts to get you through the next three weeks of sport! Let the games begin!
1. Rio will be the first Olympics held in South America
2. The slogan for Rio is Viva Sua Paixao which means Live Your Passion.
3. There are 33 different venues in four districts of Rio – Copacabana, Barra de Tijuca, Deodoro and Maracana.
4. 10,500 athletes from 206 countries will compete.
5. Rio 2016 is the first Games to include Olympians born in the year 2000.
6. 85,000 soldiers and police will be deployed: twice the size of the security presence for London.
7. 7.5 million tickets were available.
8. Golf is returning to the Olympics after 112 years.
9. Rugby is returning to the Games after a 92-year absence.
10. The Summer Olympics have been held 27 times.
11. A team of athletes will compete under the Olympic flag having been forced to flee their own country.